Friday, September 28, 2012

Tea Cups: Life After the Candle

Whew!  It's been a busy few weeks!  The Holiday Arts and Crafts Show season is here, and it will continue to be slightly overwhelming (in a good way) right up until Christmas time.   I have been spending every spare moment shopping for unique tea cups, ordering supplies in bulk, fending off tea cup candle copycats (haha... that's another story in itself), and of course MAKING CANDLES!

Maybe it's because I always have tea cups on the brain these days, but I have been seeing tea cups used for decoration and small item storage pieces EVERYWHERE I look.  From jewelry dishes to business card holders, I love how decorators are working these vintage pieces into their designs.  Which brings me to my point: What can you do with your tea cups after your candles have burned?

So, I thought I would take the opportunity to show you some of the photos I drew inspiration from.  But before I get to that, let me first add this sidenote.  All my tea cup candles are made with all natural soy wax.  Soy wax is non-toxic and burns slower, cooler, and cleaner than paraffin wax.  That means, once your candle has burned down, it is safe to use as a tea cup once again.  All you have to do is pull out the wick and wash with soap and water.

Now on to the pretty.  Of course, the tea cup candle is the BEST way to use vintage tea cups.  Maybe I'm biased, but hey, Martha Stewart approves!


Check out the unique jewelry display below.  What a pretty way to store your earrings, bracelets, necklaces, and rings!  I love how they mixed and matched patterns here.


How about tea cups as vases or flower pots?  This would be perfect as a centerpiece to a small table.  My friend Kate has planted succulents in her vintage tea cups, and they are beautiful!  


Ok, this would take a little more handy work, but what a conversation piece for tea cup lovers!  I personally think this would look good in my kitchen, since that is my "candle making studio".  Also because of the fact that some people refer to me as the "Tea Cup Candle Lady" now.  I guess that's a good thing..?


And hellllo Pinterest.  I could see the photo below being repinned several times.  Again, the mixing and matching of patterns and colors is so charming.  What an easy way to spruce up your kitchen!  Just a few hooks, and you're done!



And here is that beautiful business card holder I mentioned earlier.  This is my go-to idea for showing off my business cards at Arts and Craft Shows.


Of course, if you can't imagine your tea cup being anything but a candle, I can help you with that too!  I re-fill tea cup candles for only $10.  If you have a special tea cup, maybe a family heirloom or a piece of your own china, I can make it into your own unique tea cup candle.  Since my grandma doesn't know what a "blog" is, yet alone how to use a computer, I know this secret is safe:  I found some tea cups in my grandma and grandpa's original china pattern at an antique store the other day, and I plan to make the tea cup into a candle for her for Christmas.  Perfect!  I know it will be special to her.  I would love to help you create your own special gift for your sweet grandma, mom, aunt, sister.... and the list goes on.  

Thanks to www.allputtogether.com for many of the pictures used in this blog post.  Check out their inspiring website!

No comments:

Post a Comment